eTA for Canada
eTA for Canada: Basic Information
An eTA for Canada is an electronic document that authorizes travel to Canada. Common recipients are tourists and businesspeople.
- Types of eTA
There is only one type of eTA for Canada, which may be used for purposes of either tourism or business (a holiday, visiting friends and relatives, participating in business meetings or conferences, etc.) The eTA for Canada is a multiple entry eTA valid for 5 years, starting on date of approval. The expiration date is given on the eVisa. The eVisa is good for visits of up to 180 consecutive days. The bearer of the eTA has a right to 180 total days within the validity period of 5 years, whether spent consecutively or spread over multiple visits.
- List of eligible countries
Citizens from the countries listed below must apply for an eTA in order to travel to Canada:Andorra
Papua New Guinea
United Arab Emirates
Vatican City (Holy See)
* Brazilian nationals are eligible for an eTA if they meet one of the following conditions:
– They are a US Permanent Resident (Green Card holder)
– They have held a Canadian visa at any point within the 10 years preceding their current visit to Canada
– They currently hold a US non-immigrant visa
** Applies to all British nationals, including those who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:Anguilla
British Virgin Islands
Falkland Islands (Malvinas)Gibraltar
Turks and Caicos Islands
Other foreign nationals who need an eTA in order to travel to Canada:
– All lawful permanent residents of the United States in possession of a valid alien registration card (Green Card)
– Holders of passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, which include the personal identification number of the individual. Please note: all Taiwanese nationals who hold passports which do not include their personal identification number need a standard embassy visa in order to visit Canada
– Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom with entered nationality as British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong
– Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom with nationality listed as British Subject, and which confirm the holder’s right of abode in the United Kingdom
Nationals of all eligible countries listed above do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea. NOTE: A biometric passport is required to enter Canada at every port of entry, including land and sea.
If your country of citizenship is not listed, it is necessary to apply for a standard embassy visa in order to visit Canada.
Nationals of the following countries are exempt from the need to carry an eTA:
– Canadian citizens or dual Canadian citizens
– Permanent residents of Canada
– US citizens
An eTA is not needed in order to enter Canada by land or sea.
- eTA to Canada Application Form
To proceed with your application, please use the panel on the left side of this website. Please choose the purpose for travel: Tourism and/or Business - and please select your nationality which matches with the one on your passport.
Click on “apply online” and fill your application.
- eTA Validity Period
eTA validity period: 5 years, starting on date of approval. The expiration date is given on the eVisa. Maximum consecutive days on a single visit: Up to 180 days.
Total days allowed during the validity period: 180 days (the bearer of the eTA has a right to 180 total days within the validity period of 5 years, whether spent consecutively or spread over multiple visits.)
- eTA Transit Information
All holders of passports from eligible countries and traveling by plane must be in possession of an eTA in order to transit through Canada.
- Requirements on Arrival
Upon arrival in Canada, you will only be required to show your valid passport from an eligible country. Your approved eTA will be linked automatically to your passport number. There is no need to print out your eTA or to show it on arrival.
A valid passport from an eligible country is required in order to travel to Canada.
A scan of your passport is not required for your eTA application.
Benefits of Evisa Express
Easy application process
Qualified team of experts
Guarantee of service
Three easy steps to get your eTA
Fill out remaining required information and make online payment
Check your email