eTA Canada Application (eVisa)

eTA Canada Information

eTA Canada (Electronic Travel Authorization) is an online visa implemented for travelers from visa-exempt countries who wish to enter Canada by air for tourism, business, or transit.

The Electronic Travel Authorization was introduced in May 2016 by the Canadian Government in order to speed up the visa application process.

Canadian eTA is a multiple entry visa that allows a stay in the country for up to six months at a time. eTA is electronically linked to the applicant's passport and stays valid for five years from the date of issue.

The process of applying for an eTA is certainly simpler and less expensive than obtaining a traditional visa. The eTA application process takes place entirely online, from filling out the form to paying the fee (49 Euro).

The processing time has been reduced from weeks (traditional visa) to a few days.

However, most applications are approved within minutes. eTA is a secure and highly recommended form of travel authorization.

Use ArriveCAN to enter Canada

From September 7, 2021, all international visitors must complete ArriveCAN before entering Canada.

The Canadian health declaration form must be completed to allow travelers to enter the country during the COVID-19 pandemic. This can only happen through ArriveCAN, a platform created by the Canadian Government exclusively for this purpose.

Important Update! The ArriveCAN is no longer mandatory to enter Canada.

  • Types of Electronic Visas to Canada

    Unlike other countries, which might have up to four types of electronic visas, Canada keeps it simple with just one.

    eTA enables you to visit Canada for purposes of tourism or business.

    So whether you're looking to enter as a tourist, visit family or friends, attend a conference, or conduct negotiations, Canada's electronic travel authorization is perfect for you.

    eTA is a multiple-entry permit that stays effective for five years! Travelers can visit Canada numerous times within the validity period. Each stay can be as long as 6 months at a time.

    eTA does not entitile its holders to undertake employment in Canada.

  • List of eligible countries

    If you can find your country on the list below, you are eligible to apply for an electronic visa to Canada.

    Citizens of the following countries are eligible to apply online:

    • Afghanistan**
    • Albania**
    • Algeria**
    • Andorra
    • Angola**
    • Anguilla**
    • Antigua and Barbuda*
    • Argentina*
    • Armenia**
    • Aruba**
    • Australia
    • Austria
    • Azerbaijan**
    • Azores**
    • Bahamas
    • Bahrain**
    • Bangladesh**
    • Barbados
    • Belarus**
    • Belgium
    • Belize**
    • Benin**
    • Bermuda**
    • Bhutan**
    • Bolivia**
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina**
    • Botswana**
    • Brazil*
    • Brunei
    • Bulgaria
    • Burkina Faso**
    • Burundi**
    • Cambodia**
    • Cameroon*
    • Cape Verde Islands**
    • Central African Republic**
    • Chad**
    • Channel**
    • Chile
    • China**
    • Colombia**
    • Comoros**
    • Costa Rica*
    • Cook Islands**
    • Cote d’Ivoire**
    • Croatia
    • Cuba**
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Djibouti**
    • Dominica**
    • Dominican Republic**
    • East Timor**
    • Ecuador**
    • Egypt**
    • El Salvador**
    • Eritrea**
    • Estonia
    • Ethiopia**
    • Falkland Islands**
    • Federated States of Micronesia**
    • Fijii**
    • Finland
    • France
    • French Guiana**
    • French Polynesia**
    • Fr. South and Antarctic Lands**
    • Gabonese Republic**
    • Gambia**
    • Georgia**
    • Germany
    • Ghana**
    • Greece
    • Gibraltar**
    • Greenland**
    • Grenada**
    • Guadeloupe**
    • Guam**
    • Guatemala**
    • Guinea-Bissau**
    • Guinea Equatorial**
    • Guyana**
    • Haiti**
    • Honduras**
    • Hong Kong
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • India**
    • Indonesia**
    • Iran**
    • Iraq**
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Jamaica**
    • Japan
    • Kazakhstan**
    • Kenya**
    • Kiribati**
    • Kosovo**
    • Kuwait**
    • Kyrgyzstan**
    • Laos**
    • Latvia
    • Lebanon**
    • Lesotho**
    • Liberia**
    • Libya**
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Macau SAR**
    • Macedonia**
    • Madagascar**
    • Madeira**
    • Malawi**
    • Malaysia**
    • Maldives**
    • Mali**
    • Malta
    • Marshall Islands**
    • Mauritania**
    • Martinique**
    • Mauritius**
    • Mayotte**
    • Mexico
    • Moldova**
    • Monaco
    • Mongolia**
    • Montenegro**
    • Montserrat**
    • Morocco*
    • Mozambique**
    • Myanmar**
    • Namibia**
    • Nauru**
    • Nepal**
    • Netherlands Antilles**
    • Netherlands
    • New Caledonia**
    • New Zealand
    • Nevis**
    • Nicaragua**
    • Nigeria**
    • Niger**
    • North Korea**
    • Northern Mariana Islands**
    • Norway
    • Oman**
    • Pakistan**
    • Palestinian Authority**
    • Panama*
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Paraguay**
    • People's Republic of Congo**
    • Peru**
    • Philippines*
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Puerto Rico**
    • Republic of Guinea**
    • Republic of Palau**
    • Republic of Serbia**
    • Reunion**
    • Romania
    • Rwanda**
    • Samoa
    • San Marino
    • Sao Tome e Principe**
    • Saudi Arabia**
    • Senegal**
    • Serbia and Montenegro**
    • Seychelles*
    • Sierra Leone**
    • Singapore
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Solomon Islands
    • Somali Republic**
    • South Africa**
    • South Korea
    • South Sudan**
    • Spain
    • St. Helena**
    • St. Kitts and Nevis*
    • St. Lucia*
    • St. Martin**
    • St. Pierre and Miquelon**
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines*
    • Sudan**
    • Swaziland**
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Syria**
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan**
    • Tanzania**
    • Thailand*
    • Togolese Republic**
    • Tonga**
    • Trinidad and Tobago*
    • Tunisia**
    • Turkey**
    • Turks and Caicos Islands**
    • Turkmenistan**
    • Tuvalu**
    • Qatar**
    • Uganda**
    • Ukraine**
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United Kingdom
    • Uruguay*
    • Uzbekistan**
    • Vanuatu**
    • Vatican City State

    Nationals of the countries listed above need an eTA if entering Canada by air.

    *Special advisory for nationals marked with '*': You are eligible for an eTA if you meet one of the enlisted conditions:

    – You have held a Canadian visa at any point within the 10 years preceding your current visit to Canada
    – Currently hold a US non-immigrant visa

    **Nationalities marked with '**' are not eligible for eTA Canada. They, however, can obtain a Visitor Visa. Book a consultation with a Registered Immigration Consultant.

    Additionally, nationals of the following countries are always visa-exempt (do not need to carry an eTA):

    • Canadian citizens or dual Canadian citizens
    • Permanent residents of Canada
    • US citizens
  • eTA Canada Application Form

    At Evisa Express, we do everything we can to make sure that your eTA application process goes seamlessly.

    Ready to fill our the application form? Locate the panel on the left. and select "Tourism and/or Business" as the purpose of your travel. Finally, click "Apply online" and follow these steps:

    1. Provide basic personal and travel details, including your passport information in the application form. Double check to make sure everything is correct and move on to the next step.
    2. Cover the 49 Euro fee and receive a confirmation number at your e-mail address. All applicants have several online payment methods to choose from.
    3. Lastly, check your inbox. Approved eTAs are directly delivered to the traveler's e-mail box in PDF form.

    The processing time may take a few days. However, in many cases, the approval time is much shorter - 15-30 minutes or so. At Evisa Express, our average processing time for eTA Canada is 16 hours.

    You won't be asked to submit an actual copy of your passport, so it's extra-important that you double-check that all the information you provide us is correct.

    Once you get the approved eTA, it will be assigned to your passport electronically. You don't need to print it out.

    Bear in mind - the Canadian government is responsible for the approval of each eTA application. All decisions relating to entry, travelers, and applications rest solely with the Canadian government. As a result, processing time may be extended if the Canadian government deems it necessary.

  • Validity Period

    eTA stays valid for five years, starting from the moment of approval. During that time, travelers are allowed to enter Canada multiple times. Each time you visit, you may stay for up to 6 months.

    An important requirement is to make sure that your passport remains valid for the entirety of your visit. If your passport expires during this time, then so will your eTA. It will be necessary to submit a new application before entering Canada again.

  • Transit Information

    If you're flying to Canada to transit through the country on your way somewhere else, you still need an eTA.

    Check if your country of citizenship is located on the "List of eligible countries," above, then simply fill out an online application form in order to receive your eTA Canada.

  • Requirements on Arrival

    Canada has only one requirement for travelers holding approved eTAs: carry your valid passport as you travel, and show it at the airport when asked by the border authorities.

    There is no need to print your eTA. It will have been assigned to your passport automatically.

  • eTA Canada Sample

    Once approved, eTA will be sent to the applicant’s email box. Check the Canada eTA sample below to learn how the document will look like:

    eTA Canada

Required documents

Whether you are a tourist, business person, or simply wish to transit through Canada, your electronic travel authorization has the same simple requirement:

  • a passport that will stay for at least 6 months from the intended date of arrival

This requirement extends to every eligible person wishing to enter Canada by air.

Benefits of Evisa Express

  • Easy application processThere are three easy steps to get your eTA to Canada. Any issues during the application process can be addressed by contacting our support team
  • Qualified team of expertsA qualified team oversees the processing of each and every application
  • Guarantee of serviceIf an application is unable to be processed, reimbursement is provided according to the conditions set out by our Terms of Service

Evisa Express is an independent company that offers efficient and professional assistance in obtaining visas. We are not associated with any governmental agency See Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

FAQ about eTA Canada

  • What is Electronic Travel Authorization to Canada?

    eTA stands for Electronic Travel Authorization. Canadian eTA is an entry permit that is digitally attached to your passport number and allows numerous visits to Canada within the 5-year validity period. Each stay can be as long as 6 months at a time.

  • How long is a Canadian eTA valid for?

    The Canadian eTA stays valid for five years from the date of approval. Each time you enter, you can stay for up to 6 months in a row. Remember that if your passport expires or any data on it changes, your entry permit becomes invalid. Keep your passport valid to enjoy a full five years of eTA validity.

  • Do I need to print eTA Canada?

    Since eTA is directly linked to your passport, you do not have to print it out before visiting Canada. However, you may keep an additional copy on your mobile device just in case. The electronic entry permit will be delivered to your inbox in PDF form once it's approved.

  • How much does a Canadian eTA cost?

    Canadian eTA costs only 49 Euro for a multiple-entry permit that stays valid for the whole 5 years. All applicants can choose between various online payment methods to cover the fees. As soon as your payment registers, you will receive a confirmation number.

  • What are the requirements for eTA Canada?

    If you wish to enter Canada for purposes of tourism, business, or transit and want to travel by air, you must have an eTA first. The only document needed to apply is a passport that will stay valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Canada.

  • How long does it take for eTA Canada to be approved?

    Applicants should know that it can take a few days for eTA to be approved. However, most applications are processed within minutes. The average processing time when using our services is just 16 hours.

  • How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

    It's pretty easy to apply - all you need is a valid passport and citizenship in one of the eligible countries. Simply fill out the online eTA application form and cover the 49 Euro fee. Our team of visa experts will then handle the process of obtaining the Canadian eTA for you.

  • Can I travel to Canada without an eTA?

    Canadian citizens and permanent residents, as well as all US citizens, do not need an eTA. If you're not any of these, you must apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorization first. Luckily, submitting an application takes just a few minutes and can be done even from home!

  • Can I get an eTA at the airport?

    Travelers cannot get an eTA at the airport. You must arrive with your approved eTA already assigned to your passport. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to board the plane to Canada.

  • Do I need an eTA for connecting flights?

    Yes, you do need an eTA for connecting flights (transiting through Canada). Make sure that you have a passport that will not expire for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival and apply online. The approved entry permit will arrive at your e-mail address.

  • Can I extend my eTA in Canada?

    You cannot extend your eTA in Canada. When your entry permit expires, you must apply for a new one. All applicants must be outside of Canada in order to do that. The length of each stay can be as long as 6 months at a time!

  • Is eTA linked to my passport?

    Yes, all approved eTAs are automatically, digitally assigned to the passport of the applicant. There is no need to print it out and bring the copy to the airport, the customs officials will check if the traveler has a valid eTA via their travel document.

  • How can I check my Canadian eTA status?

    To check how well your eTA is processing, please contact our support team via e-mail or phone. Provide the team with the confirmation number that you have received right after the payment registered and get the information about the status of your electronic entry permit.

  • What if my eTA is not approved?

    If your eTA is not approved, double-check whether you are actually eligible. Is your passport valid? Are you applying from outside of Canada? Should you still not be sure why your eTA was not processed, please contact our support team via e-mail or phone.

  • How long can I stay in Canada with eTA?

    You can stay up to 6 months with each visit. eTA is a multiple-entry permit that allows numerous visits for its holders within the 5-year validity period. Make sure that your passport will not expire for the whole duration of your trip to Canada.

  • Can I apply for an eTA for my child?

    Yes, you can apply for an eTA for your child. In order to enter Canada by air, citizens of the eligible countries - even children and infants - must have both an eTA and a valid passport. There is no "minimum age" under which children can enter without an appropriate entry permit.

Three easy steps to get your eTA

  • Apply online Use information from your valid passport to complete one of our online applications
  • Complete your application Make a secure online payment with a debit or credit card, as well as other secure methods of payment
  • Check your emailYour approved eTA will be delivered directly to your account
Get help
5 days a week from 8am to 4pm (GMT+1)
or send inquiry:

Evisa Express uses cookies and similar technologies for statistical and analytical purposes to optimize usage. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. If you do not change the settings, cookies will be saved in your device's memory. Cookie Policy and Terms of Service.

IATA logo

We’re an IATA member

International Air Transport Association (IATA) represents and serves air travel industry with advocacy and global standards for safety, security, efficiency.