eTA for Canada
eTA for Canada: Basic Information
In May 2016, the Canadian government has introduced an electronic travel authorization system to verify people traveling to Canada. Since then, citizens of countries exempted from the obligation to have a regular visa from the embassy must apply for electronic authorization, i.e. eTA, before traveling to Canada.
All you need to do is fill in the online application form and pay the fee required. An electronic eTA visa costs 49 Euro, and the processing time is a maximum of 72 hours; however, most applications are approved within a few minutes.
- Types of eTA
There is only one type of electronic visa (eTA). This visa is issued for tourist and business purposes, so you can use it for holidays, visiting friends or relatives, or a business meeting. Moreover, in the case of transit it is necessary to apply for eTA.
Note: You are not allowed to work in Canada on ETA’s basis. In this case you are required to visit the embassy and apply for an employee visa.
- List of eligible countries
Citizens from the countries listed below must apply for an eTA in order to travel to Canada:Andorra
Papua New Guinea
United Arab Emirates
Vatican City (Holy See)
* Brazilian nationals are eligible for an eTA if they meet one of the following conditions:
– They are a US Permanent Resident (Green Card holder)
– They have held a Canadian visa at any point within the 10 years preceding their current visit to Canada
– They currently hold a US non-immigrant visa
** Applies to all British nationals, including those who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:Anguilla
British Virgin Islands
Falkland Islands (Malvinas)Gibraltar
Turks and Caicos Islands
Other foreign nationals who need an eTA in order to travel to Canada:
– All lawful permanent residents of the United States in possession of a valid alien registration card (Green Card)
– Holders of passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, which include the personal identification number of the individual. Please note: all Taiwanese nationals who hold passports which do not include their personal identification number need a standard embassy visa in order to visit Canada
– Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom with entered nationality as British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong
– Holders of passports issued by the United Kingdom with nationality listed as British Subject, and which confirm the holder’s right of abode in the United Kingdom
Nationals of all eligible countries listed above do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
NOTE: A biometric passport is required to enter Canada at every port of entry, including land and sea.
If your country of citizenship is not listed, it is necessary to apply for a standard embassy visa in order to visit Canada.
Nationals of the following countries are exempt from the need to carry an eTA:
– Canadian citizens or dual Canadian citizens
– Permanent residents of Canada
– US citizens
An eTA is not needed in order to enter Canada by land or sea.
- eTA to Canada Application Form
To complete the application for an electronic travel authorization document, it is necessary to provide passport details and an email address. Attaching a copy of the passport is not required, so it is important to enter your details correctly when submitting the application. After completing the data in the form, you will receive an electronic confirmation of submission of an eTA application with information about the time needed to issue the document. This usually takes a maximum of 72 hours, but in most cases eTA is being issued within 15-30 minutes. However, the processing time may be extended depending on the decision of the Canadian immigration office.
The authorized eTA will be automatically and electronically assigned to your passport, so there is no need to print the eTA document. You will be asked to show a passport to which eTA is asigned before boarding.
To complete the application,please use the panel on the left. Select the type of travel: Tourism and / or Business, and enter your citizenship. Next, Click "Apply online" and fill out the form.
- eTA Validity Period
eTA is valid for 5 years from the moment of authorizing the document or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. This means that multiple entries to Canada are possible during eTA validity, but the length of each stay cannot exceed 6 months. It is not possible to extend your stay in Canada.
Remember to keep your passport valid for the entire duration of your intended stay. If the passport expires or is changed, it is mandatory to submit a new eTA application
- eTA Transit Information
Also for transit via Canada, you are required to apply for eTA. You cannot enter Canada without electronic authorization.
If your nationality is not eligible for eTA, you must go to the embassy to get a regular visa.
- Requirements on Arrival
All you need t do to enter Canada is to have a valid passport with an electronically assigned eTA document. At the airport you will be asked to show a passport. Tere is no need to print it.
Note: eTA is mandatory only when crossing the border by air. For land or sea travel, eTA is not needed - this only applies to nationalities covered by the visa waiver program
To apply for electronic authorization to travel to Canada, you only need to provide passport details, no additional documents are needed. It is important that your passport is valid for the entire intended stay in Canada.
Please keep in mind that every person, regardless of age, holding a passport of the country enabling them to apply for eTA has to submit an application when travelling to Canada by plane.
Benefits of Evisa Express
- Easy application process
- Qualified team of experts
- Guarantee of service
Three easy steps to get your eTA
- Apply online
- Fill out remaining required information and make online payment
- Check your email