Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa
Information about Curaçao digital nomad visa
Now a remote worker from any country can apply for a Curaçao Digital Nomad Visa, as in order to improve the tourism industry, Curaçao recently implemented a new program, "@Home in Curaçao".
It is a perfect option for those seeking to work remotely or start up an independent business while living in another country.
This visa suits remote workers, digital nomads, investors, and hibernators whose lifestyle is not tied to a single physical location, and allows them to live and work in Curaçao for a period of one year. First, you can enter Curaçao and stay there for 6 months, and then renew the visa for another 6 months.
Curaçao offers digital nomads everything they need for a good quality of life – beautiful sandy beaches, affordable cost of living, reliable internet connection in many places, great attractions, and more.
Who is eligible for the Curaçao freelance visa?
There are no restrictions on nationality, so Curaçao digital nomad visa can be obtained by a person from any country.
Still, it is important to fulfill the following requirements and fall under one of the categories:
Remote workers/digital nomads using telecommunications technologies:
- you are employed by a foreign company and have a contract with the employer;
- you conduct business activities for a company registered outside Curaçao and you are a partner/shareholder;
- you provide freelance or consulting services to clients having permanent establishments in a foreign country.
Your employer can be either a private company, a public sector agency, or a non-profit organization. However, it cannot be a local Curaçao company.
- you must be a hibernator - a person seeking a warm climate and changing the work location as the weather changes (a popular option for self-employed persons);
- you must be a snowbird - a person migrating from cold locations to warmer ones, especially during the winter (a popular option for retirees).
It also applies to owners of property on the island.
High net worth investors
- you must make a business investment of at least ANG 500,000;
- you must have sufficient financial means to meet investment obligations;
- you must hold private health insurance coverage.
This visa is accessible to many people, as there is no minimum income requirement.
If you intend to stay in Curaçao permanently (to work on the local market), you should submit a regular application for a Curaçao temporary residence permit with an application for a work permit and satisfy all requirements.
How to apply for a digital nomad visa to Curaçao
The application process for obtaining the Curaçao digital nomad visa is straightforward comparing to other digital nomad visas and takes place entirely online!
Follow these steps to ensure you'll have no issues during applying:
- Gather the required documents. They should be in English, Dutch, or Spanish. If the originals are in another language, you should prepare a certified translation.
- Fill out the application form providing the requested information and upload the documents with your digital signature.
- Pay the processing fee using an online payment method.
- Wait for reply. Your application needs to be processed and approved. You'll have to wait for the answer for around 2 weeks. The approval will be sent electronically.
- Family members need to apply under the main applicant. Each family member (12 years old and over) must sign their application as indicated on the form.
The required documents for getting a digital nomad visa
Together with your application form, you must submit the required documentation:
- a valid passport (travel document must stay effective no less than 6 months from the planned date of arrival);
- an employment contract (document must prove that you are employed in a foreign country);
- proof of solvency (a declaration of assignment (own company) or employer declaration);
- a clean criminal record (you should take the proof from a local police department);
- health insurance (you must have health insurance for digital nomads and remote workers that has coverage in Curaçao);
- a residential address in Curaçao (a rental agreement or a hotel booking);
- a return ticket equal to your stay once it has been approved (you'll have to show it upon arrival).
Benefits of Curaçao remote worker visa
The digital nomad visa to Curaçao has many benefits:
- Easy application process - you don't have to travel to the consulate, the entire process is online, which makes it very convenient to apply;
- Tax breaks - you don't need to pay Curaçao income tax unless you are a citizen of the United States of America or the United Kingdom. You also aren't considered a tax resident if you stay in the country for up to one year;
- Affordable cost of living - Curaçao has one of the lowest costs of living among the Caribbean islands;
- Multicultural community - you can easily find digital nomads that are just like you - come from a different country to work remotely in Curaçao;
- Many cafés and coworking spaces with high-speed internet - you can work in a comfortable way in many places, not just from home;
- Unique work/life balance - there are many leisure activities for you to enjoy after work: scuba diving, swimming with dolphins, canoeing, exploring historical spots and art galleries, enjoying the nightlife, etc.
How extended is your stay in Curaçao with a digital nomad visa
Curaçao digital nomad visa enables its holders to live in Curaçao and work there remotely for up to 180 days (6 months).
After this period, you can renew the digital nomad visa for another 6 months, making the stay in Curaçao for 12 months in total.
Note that Curaçao digital nomad visa will not grant you permanent residency.
Other important things for digital nomads in Curaçao to know
- You may bring a spouse and dependents with you. There is no family bundle fee;
- You can apply for digital nomad visas for all remote workers in your company, but you will have to do this individually;
- Applications must be submitted when staying/living abroad;
- You must have a return ticket, as you will not be admitted should you obtain only a one-way ticket;
- You can travel in and out of Curaçao as many times as you want during the validity period of your freelance visa;
- Under the Curaçao digital nomad visa, you are able to rent/buy a car or apartment/house locally;
- The official languages of Curaçao are Dutch, Papiamentu, and English. Spanish is also very popular, so if you speak one of the following languages, it will be convenient for you to communicate in Curaçao;
- The official currency in Curaçao is the Netherlands Antillean Guilder (ANG), but US dollars are also widely used on the island.
- The Curaçao culture is very close to South America, but also has an influence of Europe and North America.
- Curaçao has a warm, sunny, and dry climate with an average temperature of around 81 degrees.
- No COVID-19 tests are required upon your arrival at Curaçao.
- You can travel to Curaçao by plane from North America, Europe, and South America, and by sea on a cruise or yacht.