Dubai Digital Nomad Visa
Information about Dubai digital nomad visa
Do you have plans to travel and work in Dubai? If so, you'll need to know about the Dubai digital nomad visa. This visa is specifically designed for people who want to work while traveling, and it offers a number of benefits like a zero income tax that can make your trip easier and more productive.
Since the early 2010s, Dubai has been establishing itself as a hub for entrepreneurs and digital nomads. With its relaxed business environment, variety of co-working spaces, and easily obtainable entry permit, it's no wonder that the city has become so popular among remote workers.
Dubai digital nomad visa can be obtained by persons of all nationalities, including the UAE or Dubai residents, who don't need to give up their residency permit in order to receive a freelance permit.
The process for getting a digital nomad visa in Dubai is relatively simple: collect required documents, fill out the online form, and pay the fee. Upon traveling to Dubai, you should also take a medical check and do biometrics in one of the Dubai offices.
If you want to start your freelancing career, keep reading for information about the requirements for the freelance visa, details how to apply, and what benefits you can expect.
Dubai freelance visa eligibility
There are no nationality restrictions for a freelance visa to Dubai, so any person can apply for this entry permit and stay in the country as a digital nomad if fulfilling the following conditions:
- an applicant must be employed outside the United Arab Emirates
- an applicant should have all the documents requested for this type
- an applicant must have sufficient financial means
Note that Immigration services can reject the application for national security reasons.
Digital nomad visa to Dubai application process
If you meet eligibility requirements and gathered the documents needed for a freelance employment visa, you can proceed with an application process. It is rather simple to apply for freelance licenses and doesn't differ much from obtaining other visas.
To apply for a Dubai digital nomad visa, you need to follow these steps:
- Fill out the freelance visa application form on the website, entering such information about yourself, as your name, country, phone number, and email address.
- Upload the required documents. You can see the list in the next section of this article.
- Cover the fee.
- Wait for the freelance visa to be processed and approved. Once its processing is completed, you'll get a reply.
- Upon receiving the digital nomad visa, you are free to travel to Dubai.
- Arrange a medical check. You must undergo it within the month of your arrival to Dubai. After the visit, you need to wait for results, which are usually get processed within 2 weeks.
- Attend the biometrics office. When medical check results are ready, you should print them out and visit one of the biometric offices (you'll get a list of offices where you can do biometrics).
- Get a passport stamp. You will be invited to the office so that your passport could be stamped.
- Receive the residency card. The Dubai government will contact you when your residence card is ready and you can collect it. The residency card allows you to stay in Dubai for one year.
Please be attentive and double-check all the information you provide to avoid possible issues or delays.
The requirements for getting a Dubai digital nomad visa
As the application can be submitted by a person of any nationality working for a foreign company, your primary focus must be on the documents required for a freelancer visa:
- a passport – must stay effective for at least 6 months (180 days)
- a visa application form – make sure it doesn't contain mistakes and is fully completed
- a photograph – face photo of passport-format
- medical insurance – you need to have valid insurance for remote workers that covers the UAE territory
- proof of having accommodation in Dubai – a rental agreement, hotel booking, or other document confirming that you have a place to live in Dubai
- for employees:
- proof of employment (one-year contract)
- proof of having a stable income – a monthly income of at least $5.000
- payslip for the previous month to prove income
- bank statements for the previous 3 months
- proof of company ownership for at least one year, subject to extension
- proof of having a stable salary of at least $5.000 per month
- payslip for the previous month
- bank statements for the previous 3 months
- if you bring family members, you must also attach their valid passports and medical insurance.
Advantages of Dubaifreelance visa
Enjoy the benefits of a Dubai digital nomad visa, as there are many of them:
- You don't have to pay taxes in Dubai. While you need to pay taxes in the country of your company, in Dubai, you are not subject to pay income tax, withholding tax, capital gain tax, and local taxes.
- Fast internet. In Dubai, you won't likely face the internet issues, as the Wi-Fi and mobile connection network are indeed superior. It will fit you no matter what your occupation is, as it works both for browsing, video calls, and heavy streaming. No problems when working as a digital nomad!
- The Emirates ID. When you get to the UAE, you can receive the Emirates ID that simplifies your life in Dubai by providing access to numerous services like phone lines, banking, accommodation rentals, enrollment in schools, etc.
- Many places to work remotely. There are many digital nomad hotspots, cafés, and coworking places.
- Safety. Dubai is one of the safest cities in the world, so you can be sure about your personal security.
- One of the world's top pandemic-resilient cities. Dubai had a strong response to epidemic outbreaks and is considered to be one of the best places to live during and after pandemics.
- You can enjoy Dubai vibrant culture. This city hosts people of different nationalities, so you can feel the mix of cultures. It also knows for its impressive skyscrapers and modern infrastructure.
Is it possible to extend your stay in Dubai with a freelance permit?
The Dubai digital nomad visa is valid for one year. During this period, you can enter the UAE unlimited times. However, you cannot leave the country for more than 6 months – if you violate this rule, your visa will become invalid.
Once the freelance visa is expired, you are able to renew it should you still meet all the requirements. To do that, you need to resubmit the necessary documents and restart the standard application process.
Other essential things about the digital nomad visa for Dubai
- Dubai’s Remote Working Visa Scheme was launched in March 2021 and since then has become a popular option for many remote workers.
- While you can sponsor your family members to live with you in Dubai, note that you cannot sponsor employees.
- A Dubai freelance permit also allows you to work as an independent contractor for companies across the UAE and provides you access to the free zone's business center.
- 80% of Dubai’s population consists of foreign expatriates, which establishes Dubai as an expat-friendly city and great place for digital nomads.
- The usual processing time for Dubai freelance visa is around 30-60 days.