Ukraine Visa Types
If you want to visit Ukraine but your passport doesn't provide visa-free entry, you'll need to obtain a visa - a travel permit into the country. There are several Ukraine visa types according to the purpose of travel and period of stay.
All Ukrainian visas can be divided into three groups: transit, short-term, and long-term. Each of them has different characteristics, so learn some information about Ukraine visa requirements before the trip.
Currently, because of on-going Russia's full-scale attack, the Ukraine airspace was closed to flights. Still, you can cross the border by land from Poland, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, and Moldova.
The situation in Ukraine may change often, so before traveling to the country you should check if the embassy of your country has resumed its work in Ukraine and issues visas.
Note that foreign volunteer fighters willing to join the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine have visa-free entry into Ukraine.
Follow the article to get more details about the Ukraine visa and its types.
Transit (B type) visa
A transit visa is issued to foreign and stateless persons willing to enter Ukraine for transit purposes - to get through Ukraine to their next destination.
A B-type visa can be issued in different options: as a single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry visa.
This visa allows its holders to stay in Ukraine for up to 5 days and stays valid for one year (or another period, it depends on supporting documents).
You can choose between the following B-type visas:
- B-01 - Transit
- B-02 - Transit transportation of goods and passengers
- B-03 - Transit of crew members of foreign vessels stationed in Ukrainian ports
Short-term (C type) visa
A short-term visa for Ukraine permits stays for up to 90 days (3 months) within every 180 days (6 months).
There are C-type visas for single, double, and multiple entries. The validity period is 6 months but it may differ according to the applicant's supporting documents. Still, it cannot be valid for over 5 years.
Short-term visas are issued for such purposes:
- C-01 - Business visits
- C-02 - Private visits
- C-03 - Official visits (if invited by Ukraine's state authorities or entities)
- C-04 - Transportation of goods and passengers
- C-05 - Visits of Ukrainian descendants
- C-06 - Tourism
- C-07 - Medical Treatment
- C-08 - Investment activities
- C-09 - Cultural, scientific, educational, and sports activities
- C-10 - Religious activities
- C-11 - Mass media staff visits
- C-12 - Official visits (upon requests of foreign authorities or international organizations)
- C-13 - Foreign observers missions
- C-14 - Attending a close relative's funeral
- C-15 - Foreign or domestic policy interests (or exceptional cases)
- C-16 - Elimination of an accident or emergency aftermath
- C-17 - Flights of international aircraft pilots and crew members
Long-term (D type) visa
Long-term visas are designed for those who want to stay in Ukraine for more than 90 days (3 months) and get a temporary residence permit.
A long-term visa allows numerous entries and stays effective for 90 days.
There are different D-type visas subtypes:
- D-01 - Immigration permit
- D-02 - Family reunion with a person who has refugee status or temporal protection
- D-03 - Diplomatic or official stay
- D-04 - Employment by Ukraine's company
- D-05 - Implementation of international technical assistance projects
- D-06 - Religious and missionary activities
- D-07 - Employment at a foreign non-governmental organization registered in Ukraine
- D-08 - Employment at a foreign company registered in Ukraine
- D-09 - Employment at a foreign bank registered in Ukraine
- D-10 - Implementation of cultural, scientific, sport, and volunteer projects
- D-11 - Employment at a foreign Mass Media in Ukraine
- D-12 - Founder/participant/beneficial owner of a legal entity registered n Ukraine
- D-13 - Study
- D-14 - Family reunion with Ukraine's national
- D-15 - Family reunion with a person who has a temporary residence permit
- D-16 - For other purposes under international treaties
Also, citizens of eligible countries used to have the ability to submit a Ukraine visa application online (this opportunity has been temporarily suspended).
The Ukrainian e-Visa is available as a single-entry and double-entry document. Its allowed stay and validity period is the same - 30 days.
An e-Visa has been introduced to make traveling for tourism and business purposes to Ukraine easier, as all needed to apply was to fill out the online form (providing personal, travel, and passport details), cover the fee, and attach the required documents.
Visas on Arrival
Some visas could be obtained on arrival at Boryspil and Odesa international airports:
- single-entry short-term C type (15 -day emergency visa for diplomatic/official purposes, assistance in an emergency/accident, urgent medical treatment, participation in a close relative's funeral);
- single-entry transit visa B type (5-day visa for crew members of foreign vessels staying in Ukraine’s ports).