Japan Visa Types

Japan is one of the world's main attractions and has many visitors from different countries. That's why there is a great demand for

Japanese visas: travelers who are not Japanese nationals and don't hold a passport of the country with visa-free access must obtain a visa to enter Japan and enjoy its sights.

In order to get a visa to Japan, you should be from an eligible country, attend an embassy or apply online. To do that, you need to submit an application form and attach the required documents.

There are so many different types of visas to Japan that, at first, it may seem difficult to get an appropriate visa. But no time to worries: this article will guide you around the various types and their special features.

Visas vary according to the purpose of travel and the intended period of stay. There are two general visa types: short-term stay and long-term stay visas to Japan.

Short-Term Stay Japan Visas

Short-term Japan visas are issued to temporary visitors for a short time to explore the country, visit family and friends, or undertake business activities. There are several types of short-term visas.

Japan eVisa

Japan electronic visa is the easiest way to get a visa, as eligible citizens can submit a visa application form entirely online. It allows its holders to travel to Japan for tourism once and stay up to 30 days.

Tourist Visa

Tourist visa is issued for foreign nationals to stay up to 90 days to visit relatives or friends, as well as for tourist, recreational or other short-term non-remunerative activities.

The required documents vary depending on the citizenship and the exact purpose. They may include a valid passport, visa application form, photograph, a letter of reason for invitation, schedule of stay, letter of guarantee, etc.

Business Visa

Business visa lets stay in the country for 90 days for short-term business-related purposes, such as conferences, market surveys, business talks, signing contracts, and others. You can apply for a single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry one.

Transit visa

Transit visa is needed for those entering Japan in order to get to their next destination and intending to leave the transit zone in the airport. It is issued for 15 days maximum. You may need to provide a valid passport, a visa application and some other documents, for example, a valid visa for the third country of destination (if it's non-visa-free).

Long-Term Stay Japan Visas

Long-term Japan visas are issued for a stay over 90 days to perform remunerative work, study, join a family member, etc. There are seven types of long-term visas to Japan.

Japan Working Visa

Working visa allows to stay in Japan for three months to up to five years and get employed. It is issued for a number of different kinds of professionals, such as professors, artists, business managers, researchers, etc. Before applying, you should send most of the documents to your employer or sponsor in Japan for them to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility.

Highly Skilled Professional Visa

This visa is created for talented foreign workers with advanced and specialized skills. To apply for this visa, foreign nationals must gain at least 70 points. Points are awarded according to the educational and professional background, income and academic achievements based on a fixed point chart designed by the Japanese Immigration Authorities.

General Visa

General Visa is issued for engaging in cultural activities. The permitted period of stay varies from 3 years, 1 year, to 6 months or 3 months. Certificate of Eligibility is required to show that the person meets the conditions for landing in Japan.

Specified Visa

Specified Visa is granted to the spouse or children of Japanese nationals or those with permanent residence. The period of stay with this visa may differ, the same as with General Visa.

Start-up Visa

This visa is for entrepreneurs supported by municipalities in Japan and the spouse or child of the entrepreneur. It allows staying in the country for six months.

Diplomatic visa

Diplomatic visa is issued to constituent members of diplomatic missions or consular offices of foreign governments hosted by the Government of Japan, those provided with similar privileges and/or immunities in accordance with treaties or international customary practices, and their family members belonging to the same household.

The duration of the permitted stay depends on the period of the mission.

Official visa

Official visa is designed for engaging in official business of foreign governments or international organizations recognized by the Government of Japan, for example, for administrative and technical staffs of diplomatic missions and service staff members. It grants stays of up to 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 3 months, 30 days or 15 days.

Get help
5 days a week from 8am to 4pm (GMT+1)
or send inquiry:

Evisa Express uses cookies and similar technologies for statistical and analytical purposes to optimize usage. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. If you do not change the settings, cookies will be saved in your device's memory. Cookie Policy and Terms of Service.