North Macedonia Digital Nomad Visa
Information about North Macedonia digital nomad visa
A digital nomad visa is a document that enables remote workers to reside in a foreign country. Usually, it permits you to stay longer in the place while working online and is treated as a temporary residence permit.
The digital nomad visa program is implemented to boost the country's economic situation, especially the tourist section affected by the COVID-19 situation.
The application process is very intuitive and simple, you just need to prepare the required documents and wait for approval. Many times the visa is sent by email in PDF form.
When it comes to the North Macedonia digital nomad visa, the talks about it started in February 2021, however, it is not introduced yet so we need to wait for a final outcome.
However, we can expect that it would be similar to the other digital nomad visas in European Union or worldwide.
As for now, we know the program is supported by The Fund of Innovation and Technology Development and that it would allow staying in the country for up to 1 year. Also, the digital nomad visa To North Macedonia will be extendable.
As we stated, the initiative is still in progress so now you can pick different options, such as:
- Temporary Resident Visa which is used for many reasons like work, self-employment, study, reunion, or research activities. Among the most important requirements are a valid passport, ID, clean criminal record, and proof of financial means.
- Personal Work Permit can be used for self-employment or business purposes. It is valid for one year but only trade license holders who are registered in the Central Trade Register of the Republic of North Macedonia may apply for it.
- Business Visa. It is a short-term document that allows you to stay in the country for meetings, conferences, and dealings related to the business.
- Tourist Visas enable digital nomads to visit Macedonia for leisure activities. These visas are a very common type among travelers.
Who is eligible for the North Macedonia freelance visa?
Remote workers need to wait for more information about who is eligible for digital nomad visas as the North Macedonia digital nomad visa program is still being developed.
How to apply for a digital nomad visa to North Macedonia?
Usually, the procedures are very similar. So in order to apply for a digital nomad visa you need to:
- Gather all necessary documents like a valid passport, copy of passport bio-data page, etc.
- Visit the embassy in order to book an appointment or apply online by completing the application form.
- Cover the necessary fee.
- Wait for processing and approval. After that, you will receive your visa via email in PDF form or you will need to get the document in person in a special office.
Global digital nomads still need to wait for more detail regarding applying due to the fact visa for remote work is not available yet in North Macedonia.
The requirements for getting a digital nomad visa
We can assume that among the requirements for a North Macedonia digital nomad visa would be:
- a valid passport
- an income proof (minimum income requirements are not stated yet)
- health and travel insurance
- fee payment
- a completed and submitted application form without mistakes (it is advisable to check it twice)
- clean criminal record.
Benefits of being a remote worker in North Macedonia
There are many advantages when it comes to living in North Macedonia as a digital nomad:
- The internet connection is very good which is important when you work remotely.
- North Macedonia is a very safe country so you can rest without worrying.
- The digital nomad visa enables you to stay in the country and combine relaxation with work.
- The landscapes are amazing in North Macedonia.
- The costs of living are low.
- It is easy to apply for a digital nomad visa.
- The processing time for getting a digital nomad visa usually is very fast and smooth.
- It is possible that digital nomads would be exempt from paying income tax.
How to extend your stay in North Macedonia with a digital nomad visa?
The North Macedonia digital nomad visa is not available, however, we know that it would be possible to extend it, as well as the visa would allow staying in the country for up to 1 year.
We are waiting for more details to be revealed by the Macedonian government.
Other important things to know about the digital nomad visa for North Macedonia
The whole digital nomad visa initiative was introduced to attract digital nomads from around the world. Thanks to it remote workers can obtain a temporary residency permit and live in the country, as well as later obtain a permanent residence which is a very tempting option for everyone who would like to change their surroundings and try something new.
It is worth knowing that in many cases you will become a tax resident after a certain day of your stay. It is possible that Macedonian authorities also will choose that solution. Besides, more likely digital nomads who work remotely will need to show their monthly income.
All in all, foreign freelancers should wait for more details about this digital nomad destination and its visa for digital nomads as now the program is in progress.