Working Holiday Visa Australia

About the Australian working holiday visa

An Australian working holiday visa is a temporary visa issued for young adults from eligible countries and regions participating in Australia's Working Holiday Maker program.

Young people aged between 18 and 30 (or 35 in the case of certain nationalities) can apply for the visa subclass 417 and have an extended holiday in Australia at the same time working there to fund it.

A holder of the visa is allowed to stay in Australia for up to 12 months and take up short-term employment. It is possible to exit and re-enter Australia numerous times throughout this 365-day period.

The working holiday visa can be obtained entirely online, while an applicant must meet certain requirements, including holding a valid passport of an eligible country, being aged 18-30 years old, and not being accompanied by any dependent child.

Going to Australia on a working holiday is an ideal option for a young traveler who wishes to combine traveling and working. You should consider applying for the Australian working holiday visa if you wish to work while visiting Australia and you plan on staying one year or longer in the country.

Available types of working holiday visas in Australia

There are three types of Australian visas that can be issued for working and holiday purposes. All the visas enable staying in Australia for 12 months. The available options include the following:

First Working Holiday visa

This visa is the best choice for travelers who want to have their first extended holiday in Australia and work there during their stay.

They can use the first working holiday visa to:

  • undertake short-term employment in Australia to help fund their holiday
  • study for up to 4 months
  • enter and re-enter Australia numerous times
  • do specified work (for 3 months) to become eligible for a second working holiday visa

Second Working Holiday visa

This visa type is dedicated to travelers who currently hold, or who have been previously granted, a working holiday visa for Australia.

As a holder of the second working holiday visa, you are allowed to:

  • take up short-term work in Australia to fund your holiday
  • study for up to 4 months
  • enter and re-enter Australia as many times as you need
  • do specified subclass 417 work (for 6 months) to become eligible for a third working holiday visa

Third Working Holiday visa

This visa type is granted to travelers who currently hold, or who have been previously granted, a second working holiday visa for Australia.

When being a holder of the third working holiday visa, you can:

  • undertake short-term employment in Australia to help fund your stay
  • study for up to 4 months
  • enter and re-enter Australia multiple times

Who is eligible for a working holiday visa subclass 417?

You can apply for the Australian Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) if you are a passport holder from one of the following countries:

  • Belgium
  • Canada*
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France*
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Ireland*
  • Republic of Korea
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

*Citizens of Canada, France and Ireland are eligible for the working holiday visa until the age of 35.

Eligibility Requirements

No matter the type of Australian working holiday visa you apply for, you need to:

  • be 18-30 years old (or up to 35 years if you are Canadian, Irish, or French)
  • stay outside Australia when applying online
  • be a passport holder of an eligible country or jurisdiction
  • travel non-accompanied by a dependent child

Additionally, depending on the selected visa type, you will also need to:

  • have previously traveled to Australia with a subclass 417 visa*
  • have previously held second subclass 417 visas in Australia**
  • if in Australia, be a holder of a substantive visa or the last substantive visa that expired less than 28 days ago ***
  • have completed 3-month specified subclass 417 work*
  • have completed 6-month specified subclass 417 work**

*Applies to a second working holiday visa application.

**Applies to a third working holiday visa application.

***Applies both to second and third working holiday visa applications.

How to apply for a working holiday visa in Australia

The application process for the Australian working holiday visa can differ depending on a few factors, such as your profession and nationality.

Start by gathering all the necessary documents. To successfully submit your working holiday visa application, you will need to have:

  • certified copies of the first two bio-data passport pages
  • a certified copy of your birth certificate
  • two recent passport photos
  • a certified copy of a bank statement confirming your sufficient funds to cover your entire stay in Australia (min. AUD 5,000)

Please note: In order to get more information on how to apply for a working holiday visa for Australia, you can book your individual online consultation with a qualified immigration specialist (AUD $300.00 for a 45-minute online session).

Benefits of having a working holiday visa in Australia

Having the Australian working holiday visa gives its holder plenty of opportunities and benefits, including:

  • staying in Australia for up to 12 months
  • undertaking any type of short-term employment
  • entering and re-entering Australia as many times as needed
  • working, studying and exploring at the same time
  • discovering a new country and culture
  • immersing in the English language
  • enriching professional experience and impressing future employers in your home country
  • one-of-kind personal enrichment

Restrictions of a working holiday visa in Australia

The Government of Australia has implemented strict employment laws regarding foreign immigrants. If someone breaks the law, they must be aware of some penalties.

Under no circumstances should you work without the right and valid visa. If your working holiday visa is invalid and you have not left Australia or submitted an application for a new visa, you may be detained and removed from the country. Moreover, breaching the Australian immigration law may result in being banned from entering Australia in the future.

Please also bear in mind that it is permitted to work two jobs under a working holiday visa in Australia. However, work with any employer is limited to a 6-month period. For instance, you may work for 6 months for one employer and after this period, you can take up another job with a new company to work for them for another 180 days.

Moreover, depending on your employment contract and its terms and conditions, you may not be allowed to engage in secondary employment. Taking up a second job will otherwise constitute a breach of your contract and may result in its termination. Make sure to familiarize yourself with all the provisions before signing the contract.

Regarding the type of work that you can do with a working holiday visa, there are usually no restrictions. As a temporary employee, however, you may need to put more effort into finding a job in your preferred field or profession.

How to find work in Australia with your working holiday visa

There are a few ways how to find work in Australia when holding a working holiday visa. Depending on the type and frequency of your preferred work, you may consider:

  • City jobs: If you are interested in finding a job in retail, housekeeping, hospitality (bars and restaurants), or construction work sectors, then you should look for job offers in metropolitan cities like Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane.
  • Working on a farm: If rural vibes are what you are looking for, choose farm work. Farm job offers can be found all over Australia, but start by looking around Cairns or the Gold Coast.
  • Volunteering: If earning money is not what you really care about when staying in Australia, you may also consider finding a job, for example, in exchange for accommodation.

You should note that finding a city job would be relatively much easier than farm work. Many young people also decide to seek a few short-term jobs in more than one region. This way, they can explore Australian diversity in-depth.

Tips for traveling and living in Australia on a working holiday visa

If you have already been granted your working holiday visa, it is high time to plan your oncoming trip to Australia. Below, you may find a few useful tips to consider before setting off:

Buy a return ticket

Do remember that one requirement of getting your visa is having either a return ticket or proof that you have sufficient funds to book a ticket back.

You may consider buying an open return ticket, which enables paying for your flight home without having to specify the date.

Buy travel insurance

Do not also forget to get comprehensive health and travel insurance. Some countries may have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia, but it is always recommended to have coverage for any unexpected expenses while staying abroad.

Look for best accommodation

Depending on your preferences and workplace, you may wish to settle in one of the metropolitan Aussie cities like Sydney or Melbourne, or live the laid-back lifestyle staying in Cairns or Airlie Beach.

Choose your accommodation wisely, taking into consideration all important factors, including your budget, traveling needs, and employment.

Set up a bank account

You should set up your bank account before leaving. You may do it entirely online and after arriving in Australia, you will need to head to your selected bank and handle other formalities.

Among the most popular Aussie banks are HSBC, Westpac, Commonwealth, NAB, and ANZ.

Sort out a tax number

In order to work legally in Australia, you will need to have a personal 9-digit number - a tax file number (TFN).

To get the TFN, you must provide your Australian address, passport no., Australian phone no., and valid address. After maximally 28 days, the number will be sent to you.

Get a new phone number

When staying and living in a foreign country, having a local phone number is a must!

You may either buy a cheap brick phone and use it for calls and texts or get a new pay-as-you-go sim card and use it on your current phone.

Get help
United States: (929) 238-1300
or send inquiry:

Evisa Express uses cookies and similar technologies for statistical and analytical purposes to optimize usage. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. If you do not change the settings, cookies will be saved in your device's memory. Cookie Policy and Terms of Service.