Tanzania eVisa Application
eVisa to Tanzania: Basic information
Since November of 2018, when the Immigration Commission of Tanzania decided to introduce the eVisa system, all eligible travelers can apply for their visa to Tanzania online.
From that point on, no visits to the Embassy are necessary, nor dealing with an excessive amount of paperwork or long lines of waiting. eVisa application can be completed in just a few minutes from home or any other place!
Moreover, the electronic Tanzania visa serves as a single-entry permit that allows a stay of 30 days and costs 99 Euro. USA makes an exception; all US citizens need to apply for a multiple-entry online visa that stays valid for one year and costs 149 Euro.
Read on to learn all about the application process, the eVisa types available, how long is the validity period, and more!
Tanzania eVisa types
The electronic Tanzania visa can be divided into two types that state the purpose of usage for its' holders. Nationals from many different countries that are eligible to apply can choose between a:
- Tourist eVisa: that allows all tourism-related visits, such as exploring Tanzania, discovering the tourist destinations. It also includes family/friends visits.
- Transit eVisa: for all transit purposes. It allows all travelers to stay in Tanzania for 7 days when transiting to another country. It does not allow tourism usage.
Both are single-entry permits; the online tourist visa allows a stay of 30 days, and the transit one of 7 days.
List of eligible countries
Citizens from the countries listed below must apply for an eVisa to travel to Tanzania:
- American Samoa
- Aruba (NL)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Democratic Republic)
- Costa Rica
- Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Faroe Islands
- French Guiana (FR)
- French Polynesia (FR)
- Greenland (DK)
- Guam (US)
- Korea, North (DPR)
- Korea, South
- Macedonia (North)
- Marshall Islands
- Myanmar (Burma)
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Pitcairn Islands
- Puerto Rico (US)
- Russian Federation
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sint Maarten (FR/NL)
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- South Sudan
- U.S. Virgin Islands (US)
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Vatican City (Holy See)
- Western Sahara
If your country of citizenship is not listed, it is necessary to apply for a standard Embassy visa in order to visit Tanzania.
Tanzania eVisa application form
The electronic Tanzania visa application process is very intuitive and effortless. It should take you just a few minutes to complete it. You can even use your phone to apply, provided you have access to an internet connection.
Start by gathering all of the essential documents described in the 'Required Documents' section. Once you are prepared and have checked if you are on the list of countries which nationals are eligible, start the application process.
Follow this online application guide to ensure successful online visa approval:
- Fill the online application form by providing your data, email address, the purpose of your travel, date of entry to Tanzania, and attaching all of the required documents.
- Cover the eVisa fees using any online payment method. You can choose between various secure online payment methods available on our website.
- Check your inbox for the confirmation number that you will receive once your payment is registered. Within 10 business days, eVisa to Tanzania will arrive at your email address.
Please print out the electronic Tanzania visa that you will receive in PDF version and take it with you to the airport.
Please note that the processing time may take up to 10 business days (or elongate in some cases); it all lies within the Immigration Office in Tanzania.
However, the average processing time when using our services is just 7 business days!
The validity period differs depending on the electronic visa type you choose. You can apply for your visa online and choose between the two types described earlier.
- Tourist eVisa: the validity period of this entry permit starts on the planned date of entering Tanzania. All applicants state their intended date of entry to Tanzania, and the validity period begins on that date. You can stay in the country for 30 days from arrival.
- Transit eVisa: 7-day validity starts on the planned entry date. Make sure you put the correct date in your application form.
- Multiple-entry eVisa (for US citizens only): US citizens need to apply for a multiple-entry permit that stays valid for one year from the date of arrival in Tanzania. It allows a visit of 90 days.
Please ensure that you put the correct planned arrival date into Tanzania in the online visa application form to avoid issues with entrance, delays, or misunderstandings.
For purposes of transiting through Tanzania, all eligible nationals need an eVisa. Choose transit as the purpose of your travel on the panel on the left-hand side. This online visa type allows a 7-day stay in Tanzania for transit purposes only.
The processing time may take up to 10 business days. Moreover, you will have to state the intended date of arrival in Tanzania, so make sure it's correct.
Requirements on arrival
Once you arrive in Tanzania, the customs officials will check two obligatory documents for all travelers. Before leaving, please prepare the following:
- a valid passport (for at least 6 months forth from the arrival date)
- printed out eVisa to Tanzania (can be in black and white)
The customs officials at the airport will give you a passport stamp with the stated date of returning to your country of origin.
Ports accepting eVisas
Before visiting the United Republic of Tanzania with an eVisa, you have to plan which of the listed border crossing points will you use. There is a list of stipulated airports and land border crossings to use by travelers who have an electronic visa for Tanzania.
- Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA)
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA)
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA)
- Mwanza International Airport (MWZ)
Border crossing points:
- Namanga border
- Tunduma border
Tanzanian seaports accept online visas as well.
Tanzania eVisa Sample
After submitting the online application form, don’t forget to take a look at the Tanzania eVisa sample below. Get an idea how the approved document will look like!
Documents for the Tourist eVisa
All applicants for the online tourist visa are asked to provide the following documents:
- a photograph of the valid passports' bio-data page
- applicants' photograph (that can be taken using a phone or a PC camera)
- proof of having a return ticket
Documents for the Transit eVisa
All nationals from the list of countries that are eligible to apply for a transit visa online should provide:
- a photograph of the valid passports' bio-data page
- applicants' face photograph (use your either your phone or a PC camera to take the necessary photo)
- a photo of the onward ticket
- Each applicant has to have a valid passport for 6 months after the planned arrival in Tanzania date
- Tanzania eVisa validity period starts on the date of entry to the country (specified in the online application form)
- The electronic Tanzania visa is not issued for any business or work-related purposes (for such purpose, an applicant needs to visit the Embassy and handle a regular visa)
- Online visa to Tanzania links directly to the travelers' passport. Thus, in case of any changes to the passport data, losing the documents, or passport expiry, eVisabecomes invalid
- Every traveler needs an online visa to cross the Tanzanian border
- There is no possibilityof extending your stay in Tanzania
Should you need more information, see the frequently asked questions section at the bottom of the page.
Benefits of Evisa Express
- Easy application process
- Qualified team of experts
- Guarantee of service
FAQ about the Tanzania eVisa
- What is the Tanzania eVisa?
Tanzania eVisa is an entry permit that comes in an electronic form and can be obtained online using any device with an internet connection. It is a single-entry permit that allows a 30-day stay in Tanzania for the cost of 99 Euro. If you are a USA citizen, you need to apply for a multiple-entry eVisa, valid for one year, allowing 90 days of stay total (149 Euro).
- Is it easy to get the Tanzania visa online?
If you prepare all of the necessary for travelers documents described in the 'Required Documents' section above, the online visa application process will take you just a few minutes. You can even apply from home! Our services grant a 99% rate of successfully approved applications.
- What documents do I need to apply for the Tanzania eVisa?
To apply for the Tanzania eVisa. you will have to prepare your valid passport and attach a photo of the bio-data page. Another essential document to attach is the applicants' face photograph. The third document differs depending on which electronic visa type you will choose. For a tourist entry permit, attach a return ticket. If you're applying for a transit one, attach an onward ticket.
- Can you apply for a Tanzania visa online?
Yes! Tanzania visa is an entry permit that can be easily obtained online. All you have to do is visit our website and start completing the electronic visa application process. Use any device (phone, laptop, PC, tablet) with an internet connection and apply online! The entry permit to Tanzania will arrive at your email address.
- How to apply for an online visa for Tanzania?
The application process for an online visa to Tanzania is not demanding nor complicated in any way. Spare a few minutes to complete it from anywhere you want. Provide your data in an online questionnaire, make sure it's correct, and attach the necessary documents. Cover the fees using a credit card or any other method of payment. Lastly, check your inbox for the delivered eVisa in PDF version.
- How long does it take to get an electronic visa to Tanzania?
The processing time for the electronic Tanzania visa can take up to 10 business days. However, our services have an average processing time of 7 business days! This time may elongate if the Immigration Office in Tanzania decides so. Make sure your application is error-free to avoid any delays.
- How much is an eVisa to Tanzania?
eVisa to Tanzania costs just 99 Euro. The payment may be made by choosing any of the several online payment methods available on our website. This includes using a credit card, debit card, PayPal, PayU, and other. For all US citizens, the price is 149 Euro, and the electronic visa type is different.
- How long is my online visa for Tanzania valid for?
The online visa for Tanzania is a single-entry permit that allows a stay of 30 days (tourism) and 7 days (transit). The validity period starts on the stated in the online form planned entry date. From the date of arrival in Tanzania, all travelers have either 30 or 7 days of the validity period, depending on the selected eVisa type.
- How will I receive the approved Tanzania eVisa?
Tanzania eVisa, once approved, will be delivered in PDF version directly to your email box. Make sure you put a correct email address while applying to have access to your electronic visa later on. Once you receive your entry permit, please print it out and take it with you on your travel to present it to the customs officials upon arrival.
- Who needs an electronic visa to Tanzania?
Every traveler wishing to cross the Tanzanian border needs an electronic visa to do so. Check the list of the eligible countries to see if you can make an online application. If yes, grab your valid passport and other required documents and complete the application process within minutes.
- Do children need an online visa for Tanzania?
All underage travelers need to have an online visa to travel to Tanzania. The application for the child should be filed by their parent or guardian. If you need any further information regarding that topic, please contact our support team via email or phone.
- Can I get an online Tanzania visa on arrival?
There is a possibility of obtaining the online Tanzania visa on arrival. However, it is best to handle your entry permit in advance to avoid any issues upon your trip, long lines, and stressful situations. Apply at least 10 business days before your trip and get the approved eVisa delivered straight to your email box. Travel prepared!
- Can I extend my stay in Tanzania with an electronic visa?
It is not possible to extend your stay in Tanzania with an electronic visa. Upon entering, each traveler gets a stamp that states the returning date to their country of origin. Do not overstay to avoid issues.
- What can I do if my Tanzania eVisa is denied?
First, make sure that all the data you've provided was correct. Check if you meet the requirements described earlier. If you are eligible and your application was not approved, please contact our support team to resolve this issue.
Three easy steps to get your eVisa
- Apply online
- Fill out the remaining required information and make online payment
- Check your email