South Korea K-ETA
South Korea K-ETA information
The South Korean ETA is an electronic visa introduced by South Korea in 2021 that is currently available online for 49 visa-exempt countries.
K-ETA is a multiple-entry online visa that stays valid for two years from issuing and allows its holders to visit South Korea for short-term stays relating to leisure or business. The length of the maximum stay depends on the applicant's nationality and ranges between 30 and 90 days.
The South Korean ETA was first introduced in May 2021 for a test period and is now an obligatory document to have starting from September 2021.
The new system was introduced in South Korea to help pre-screen the incoming visitors and speed up the whole application process to make visiting this country much easier. K-ETA is available for eligible travelers entirely online after following a quick and intuitive 3-step application process from home.
There is only one type of K-ETA available that serves for both leisure and business purposes, such as going on vacation, visiting one's friends and family, attending business conferences, meetings, seminars, and trade fairs.
Eligible travelers should submit their K-ETA applications no later than 72 hours before the planned departure to South Korea to receive the approved travel authorization via email on time.
South Korea ETA types
South Korea offers one type of their Electronic Travel Authorization K-ETA and that is a multiple-entry document that stays valid for 2 years from issuing and allows numerous visits to South Korea.
Each stay can be as long as 30, 60, or 90 days, depending on the applicant's nationality. Approved K-ETA allows its holders to visit South Korea for leisure and business purposes, including:
- family and friends visit
- seminars and trade fairs
List of eligible countries
Citizens of the following countries are eligible to apply for the South Korea K-ETA online and stay within the country for 30 days:
- Holy See
- Marshall Islands
- New Caledonia
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- Solomon Is.
- South Africa
- UK-British Dependent Territories (GBD)
- UK-British Overseas (GBO)
- UK-British Protected Person (GBP)
- UK-British Subject (GBS)
The following countries can stay in South Korea with an ETA for 60 days:
The following countries can visit South Korea for up to 90 days at a time when using K-ETA:
- China P. R.(Hong Kong)*
- China P. R.(Macao)*
- Commonwealth Of Dominica
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Rep.
- El Salvador
- New Zealand
- Republic Of Serbia
- St. Kitts-Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent
- UK - British Citizens (Gbr)*
- United States Of America*
The following countries can stay in South Korea for up to 180 days with K-ETA:
*From April 1, 2023, until December 31, 2024, the countries marked with '*' can travel to South Korea without a previously approved K-ETA.
South Korea ETA application form
South Korea K-ETA is available online after completing an intuitive application process using any working device with an internet connection.
Completing the process takes just a few minutes and can be done anywhere at any time.
Eligible travelers need to have the following to apply:
- a valid passport
- an active email address
- an applicant's face photo (taken using either a PC or a phone camera before applying)
Once prepared, travelers should simply:
- Fill the application form - carefully fill the application form while making sure to avoid making any errors in the provided data.
- Cover the issuing fee - using any preferred method of online payment, cover the K-ETA issuing fee and check if you have received a confirmation number at your email address.
- Wait for approval - the approved K-ETA for South Korea arrives directly at the applicant's email address in the form of a PDF file.
Remember to submit your South Korea eVisa application no later than 72 hours before the planned departure to South Korea to receive the approved document on time.
The South Korea visa waiver - K-ETA stays valid for 2 years from issuing and allows its holders to take on numerous visits to South Korea during this time.
Eligible travelers should also make sure that their passports will stay valid whenever they plan on visiting South Korea with an approved ETA since both documents are needed to enter.
Citizens from most countries do not need to have a visa to transit through South Korea if the transit period won't exceed 24 hours and the traveler will not leave the airport during the process.
However, five stipulated countries need to have a South Korea visa to transit through this destination no matter the length of the transit period:
Requirements on arrival
Every traveler planning to visit South Korea from a visa-exempt country should prepare the following documents before departure:
- a printed copy of their approved K-ETA
- a valid passport (the same one used for their K-ETA application)
South Korea ETA requirements
All that's needed to apply for the South Korean ETA is:
- a valid passport (the validity period must exceed at least six months from the planned arrival in South Korea)
- an applicant's face photo (that can easily be taken using a phone or a PC camera prior to applying)
- an active email address
- access to any preferred method of online payment
- the length of the stay in South Korea differs depending on the traveler's nationality and ranges between 30 and 90 days
- every applicant must have a valid passport to use the South Korea visa waiver
- South Korea ETA allows eligible travelers to visit South Korea for leisure and business purposes
- South Koran ETA stays valid for 2 years from issuing and allows numerous visits to this country during its validity period
- K-ETA is not extendable; once the travel authorization document has expired, travelers should apply for a new one outside of South Korea
Benefits of Evisa Express
- Easy application process Complete three simple steps to get your ETA to South Korea. Any issues during the application process can be addressed by contacting our support team
- Qualified team of expertsA qualified team oversees the processing of every application
- Guarantee of serviceIf an application is unable to be processed, reimbursement is provided according to the conditions set out by our Terms of Service
FAQ about the South Korea ETA
What is the South Korea ETA?
South Korea ETA is a multiple-entry travel authorization introduced under the South Korea visa waiver. The South Korean Government implemented ETAs to speed up and facilitate the process of handling a visa before visiting South Korea. K-ETA stays effective for 2 years and serves as a multiple-entry online visa to South Korea.
How to apply for the South Korea ETA online?
To apply for the South Korea ETA online, eligible travelers need to follow through with a few simple steps and spare just a few minutes to complete the process of applying online. The process includes filling the application form with correct data, covering the issuing fee, and waiting for the processed document to get delivered via email.
How long is South Korea ETA valid for?
ETA for South Korea stays valid for 2 years from issuing and serves as an online multiple-entry visa for its holders. Applicants must remember that for their ETA to stay valid their passports cannot expire as well. Once one's passport expires, so does the South Korean ETA.
Who needs an ETA for South Korea?
Citizens of 49 visa-exempt countries must apply for the South Korean Electronic Travel Authorization online prior to their visit to South Korea. Approved ETA works just like a tourist visa and allows its holders to stay in the country for 30, 60, or 90 days at a time (depending on the traveler's nationality).
What are the requirements for the South Korean ETA?
How long does the South Korean ETA process?
Each South Korea ETA application should be processed within 72 hours. That is why it is advised for eligible travelers to apply online no later than 3 business days of their departure to South Korea.
Can I get the South Korean ETA on arrival?
South Korea visa waiver - ETA is not available on arrival and can only be obtained online. Citizens from the 49 South Korea visa-exempt countries must submit their ETA applications online 3 days before the planned departure to South Korea to get their travel authorization documents delivered on time.
What if my K-ETA application is denied?
Travelers whose K-ETA application has been denied should get in touch with our support team, either via phone or email to discuss their situation and get full details on why their application could have been denied. Moreover, it's best to check the validity of one's passport and check for any possible mistakes in the provided data in the completed online form since these are the two most common reasons for a visa application to get denied.
How long can I stay in South Korea with a K-ETA?
Approved K-ETA allows its holders to stay in South Korea for either 30, 60, or 90 days with each visit. However, the exact length of the stay depends on the applicant's nationality. Even though the length of the maximum stay can be different, every K-ETA makes it possible to visit South Korea numerous times within its 2-year validity period, no matter the holder's nationality.
Can I apply for the South Korea K-ETA for my child?
Children should be included in an online form of their parent or legal guardian making the K-ETA application on their behalf. In such a case, it's the responsibility of the person who's submitting the form to take care of providing correct data while applying.
Can I extend the South Korean K-ETA?
South Korean ETA is not extendable. Once the 2-year validity period of the approved document expires, eligible travelers who wish to visit South Korea again should apply for a new ETA online.
How long does it take to apply for the South Korean ETA?
The application process itself takes just a few minutes to be completed and can be done entirely from home. The approved document is then sent to each applicant via email in the form of a PDF file that should, later on, be printed and presented upon arrival in South Korea.
Three easy steps to get your K-ETA
- Apply online Fill out basic information on your citizenship and purpose for travel
- Fill out the remaining required information and make an online payment We accept both credit and debit cards and other convenient methods of payment.
- Check your email Once your payment is confirmed, a K-ETA will be sent to the email address provided in the application form.