East Africa Passport Visa-Free Countries
Traveling opportunities with an East African passport
The Kenyan passport is 76th in the global passport ranking. It has a medium-low mobility score. Still, Kenyan passport holders can enter 38 visa-free countries.
Kenyan citizens are also able to get a visa on arrival. Such opportunities are given by 27 countries. Moreover, 17 countries offer to apply for an online visa.
A foreigner can get Kenyan citizenship by marriage, adoption, or continuous legal residing in the country for a minimum period of seven years. After acquiring citizenship, it is possible to apply for a Kenya passport by filling out the form, attaching the required documents, and covering the fee.
Visa-free travel is great for making friends and creating memories
Visa-free travel is an excellent opportunity to see new places and meet new people. Since no visa requirements are holding them back, Kenyan passport holders are able to see parts of the world that they might not have considered before.
Without any hassle, Kenyans can fully enjoy their vacation and pay attention to every detail. As they don't have to plan months in advance, they can change the itinerary any minute and travel where they want right now.
During their journey, Kenyan citizens are able to speak to many new people from different countries - both tourists like them and locals. It is an amazing way to make friends and get memories for the rest of their life.
How to obtain an East Africa passport
Kenyan citizenship can be acquired by:
- a person who has been married to a Kenyan citizen for a period of at least seven years;
- a person who has been lawfully resident in Kenya for a continuous period of at least seven years, and who meets the requirements prescribed by an Act of Parliament;
- a child who is not a citizen but is adopted by Kenyan nationals.
After acquiring Kenyan citizenship, a person can apply for a Kenya passport and pay for it online.
It is necessary to print out a form at the end. An applicant must sign and date the layout, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.
Then Kenyan citizens should cover the passport fees using mobile money, credit, debit cards, or online banking from local banks.
It takes at least 10 business days to get the passport once the form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices.
The reasons to travel visa-free
There are many reasons to travel visa-free, as it has many benefits:
- Kenyan passport holders don't have to deal with the bureaucracy related to the application process, attending an embassy, and paperwork;
- it's cheaper and a person can save money for the trip itself - there is no need to apply and cover visa fees;
- traveling without a visa usually means that a traveler can stay in your vacation spot for longer;
- Kenyans don't need to apply in advance, so they can travel spontaneously and change plans any minute.
38 countries where East Africa citizens can travel without a visa
Visa-free countries with an East African passport
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- South Sudan
- Trinidad and Tobago
Also, Kenyan citizens can get a visa on arrival in 27 countries and apply for an online visa in 17 countries.
Visa on arrival countries
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Saint Lucia
- Sierra Leone
- Papua New Guinea
- São Tomé and Príncipe
- South Africa
How to know if your destination is a visa-free country?
In order to know if your destination is a visa-free one, you should check the visa-free countries list and see if your country is present there.
What to do if your destination is not a visa-free country?
Depending on your citizenship, you may need to apply for an electronic visa, a visa on arrival, or a traditional visa.
Tips for preparing for travel to countries that need a visa
Traveling to non-visa-free countries may seem complicated, so here are some tips for you:
- First, check the requirements of the country you're traveling to. Some countries require that you have a certain amount of money in your bank account, while others may demand proof of travel insurance, vaccinations, or tickets;
- Once you have all the documents gathered, pay special attention to filling out the application completely and accurately, as incorrect or incomplete applications can cause delays in processing;
- Apply way in advance and make a paper copy of your visa just in case.
Is it necessary to research the different visa requirements before traveling?
All travelers should research visa requirements before a trip to any country. Failure to do so could result in being fined, turned away at the airport, or detained by local authorities.