eVisa to Ethiopia: Basic Information
Ethiopia is one of the most welcoming countries in the world. In order to make travel easier, the country's government has replaced traditional Embassy tourist visas with electronic ones.
Travelers from every country in the world can now apply for the Ethiopian tourist eVisa online.
Applying for an eVisa allows you to avoid the Embassy interviews, high costs, and long waiting lines.
Applications are approved within 3 business days, and sent straight to your email inbox for you to print out and present at the airport when you arrive.
An Ethiopian eVisa costs 99 Euro or 129 Euro, depending on the length of your stay. Read on to get all of the essential information before applying!
Types of eVisa
The Ethiopia eVisa comes in two different types, all travelers can choose between:
- a single-entry permit for a 30-day stay (99 Euro)
- a single-entry permit for a 90-day stay (129 Euro)
Every Ethiopia eVisa is:
- a single-entry visa (you can only enter Ethiopia once using your permit)
- for tourism purposes only (such as going on vacation, exploring the country, or visiting family and friends)
The validity period of your Ethiopia eVisa starts on the date of entry that you provide in the application form.
List of eligible countries
The Ethiopia eVisa is available to citizens from every country worldwide! Make sure that you have a passport that will stay valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival.
Grab your valid travel document and apply online using any working device with an internet connection within minutes. You can submit the form anywhere at any time!
Ethiopia eVisa application form
Apply for your Ethiopian eVisa swiftly and securely using our application form.
Please note! The online application must be submitted at least three days before your travel to Ethiopia.
To start the application process, find the panel on the left-hand side and select the preferred eVisa type. Then click "Apply Online" and follow these instructions:
- The application form: You'll be asked to provide basic details, such as your passport information, intended dates of stay, and email address. Please make sure that there are no errors in the data provided to avoid any delays with approval.
- Uploading supporting documents: take a photo of your valid passport's bio-data page using your phone and prepare the applicant's face photo using either a PC camera or a phone. Upload the two documents and move on to the last step.
- Payment and confirmation: Cover the Ethiopia eVisa fees and receive a confirmation number. Once the application is processed, you will receive the PDF document with your valid entry permit!
The maximum time that applicants can expect to wait for the approved eVisa is 3 business days. However, many applicants receive their entry permits within 24 hours or less.
All final decisions, both in terms of processing time and approval, depend on the government of Ethiopia.
eVisa validity period
The validity period of your Ethiopia eVisa starts on the date of entry you have put in the application form and is either 30 or 90 days long. Depending on the selected entry permit type.
No matter which type should you choose, you can enter Ethiopia once and use it only for tourism purposes.
Please note - your eVisa will be digitally linked to your passport.
That means in case of losing your travel document, or replacing it for any other reason, your electronic entry permit to Ethiopia becomes invalid.
Transit visa information
If you are simply planning to transit through Ethiopia - then you do not need an eVisa as long as the following conditions are met:
- You do not plan to leave the transit zone at the airport
- Your connecting flight is within 24 hours
If you intend to leave the transit zone, or if your connecting flight is not within 24 hours, then you must apply for a transit visa at the airport, which can't be obtained online.
Requirements on arrival
Upon arrival in Ethiopia, you will need to show the following documents to the customs officials:
- your valid passport (must be valid for at least 6 months past your intended date of entry)
- a printed Ethiopia eVisa copy. You will receive the approved entry permit at the email address provided the application form; print out the PDF and carry it with you.
Ethiopia eVisa Sample
Make sure to prepare the following documents before starting the application process:
- applicant's face photo (that can be taken using a phone or a PC camera)
- a digital photo of the bio-data page of your passport
Important - your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival. Otherwise your application will not be accepted.
- applications for the Ethiopia eVisa must be made at least 3 business days before the planned travel
- each traveler must file a separate eVisa application
- the Ethiopia eVisa must be printed out and presented upon arrival
- the Ethiopia eVisa is only issued for tourism purposes, no business activities are permitted
- the validity period starts on the planned date of entering Ethiopia that each applicant provides in the application form - not from the date of issue or the actual date of arrival
- It is possible to request an extension of your electronic tourist visa before it expires by visiting The Head Office of The Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Do not overstay your eVisa - there are serious fines and legal penalties
Benefits of Evisa Express
- Easy application process
- Qualified team of experts
- Guarantee of service
FAQ about Ethiopia eVisa
- How to get the Ethiopian eVisa?
To apply for an Ethiopia eVisa use any working device with an internet connection and spare just a few minutes. Fill the application form, cover the fees, and wait for the approved entry permit to arrive at your email address in a PDF form! Applications are approved within 72 hours.
- What are the requriments to get the eVisa to Ethiopia?
Citizens of every country worldwide may apply for an electronic tourist visa to Ethiopia if they have a valid passport and a recent photo of themselves. These are the only requirements to meet before making an online application.
- Do US citizens need a visa to visit Ethiopia?
Yes, US citizens need a visa to visit Ethiopia. All non-Ethiopian citizens need an appropriate entry permit to visit this country. All United States citizens can make an online application using any working device. Grab your valid passport and submit the form within minutes!
- Do I need a visa for Ethiopia?
Unless you are an Ethiopian citizen, you will need a visa to visit this country. Apply online with Evisa Express and get the approved eVisa delivered directly to your email box in a PDF form! Make sure that your passport will not expire for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival.
- How to renew my visa to Ethiopia?
Once your Ethiopia eVisa has expired, make sure to go back to your country of citizenship. Then, submit a new application online as for the previous entry permit. Make sure that your passport will be valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival and get a new eVisa delivered to your inbox!
- Can Central African Republic citizen get an Ethiopia eVisa?
Yes, citizens of the Central African Republic, who have a valid passport and a recent photo of themselves, can get an Ethiopia eVisa for tourism. CAR citizens may apply online using our services within minutes from home or any other place. Moreover, our support team is available to all applicants via email and phone.
- How long does it take to get an eVisa for Ethiopia?
Travelers who submit the eVisa form with Evisa Express can complete the application process within minutes. The processing time can take a maximum of 3 business days. However, many applicants receive their approved electronic tourist visa to Ethiopia in less than 24 hours.
- How much is eVisa to Ethiopia?
Ethiopia eVisa price differs depending on which type of entry permit should you choose. The 30-day one costs 99 Euro, while the fee for a 90-day entry permit is 129 Euro. All applicants can choose between several secure online payment methods to cover the fees.
- How long is Ethiopia eVisa valid for?
Validity period for the Ethiopia eVisa depends on which type of entry permit you select: 30 days or 90 days. The validity begins on the entry date provided in the application form. Make sure to enter that date correctly to have no issues upon arrival.
- Can I get a visa on arrival in Ethiopia?
It is possible for citizens of selected countries to get an Ethiopian visa on arrival. However, both the government of Ethiopia and Evisa Express recommend handling the necessary entry permit at least 3 days before your travel. Applying online is far more secure and saves you from waiting in long lines at the airport!
- What if my Ethiopia eVisa is denied?
Should your application for the Ethiopian eVisa not get approved, first check if you meet the requirements and look for any errors in the application form. If everything was correct, please contact our support team via email or phone. Click the 'Contact' button located at the top of the page to get further information.
- Can I apply for an Ethiopia eVisa for my child?
You can, and in fact you must, apply for an eVisa for your child if you intend to travel together to Ethiopia for purposes of tourism. Applications for the underage travelers must be made by their parents/guardians.
- Can I extend Ethiopia eVisa?
Extenstion of the Ethiopia eVisa is possible, but it is logistically complex and potentially expensive. Requests are to be made at The Head Office of The Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs in Addis Ababa. It's far more efficient and less expensive to go back to your home country and apply for a new eVisa.
Three easy steps to get your eVisa
- Apply online
- Fill out remaining required information and make an online payment
- Check your email